- 2 cups (280g) high-quality all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, separated
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 8 tablespoons (112g) unsalted butter, at room temperature (Earth Balance)
- 1 cup (230g) sour cream (low fat is fine, nonfat is not)
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin and set it aside. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds, and mix to combine.
- Add the butter, sour cream, lemon juice and eggs, beating well to combine after each addition.
- Fill the 12 cups of the muffin tin about 3/4 of the way full. Smooth the tops of the batter with wet fingers. Place the muffin tin in the center of the preheated oven, and bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.